The Cisco Packet Tracer is a tool for learning and simulating networks interactively for instructors and students of Cisco CCNA.
This e-learning software is offered as part of the Cisco Networking Academy. This tool allows users to create network topologies, configure devices, inject packets, and simulate a network with multiple visual representations.
Packet Tracer focuses on helping students to understand networking protocols better as taught in the CCNA curriculum.
This product is intended to be used as an educational product that provides exposure to the command line interface (CLI) of Cisco devices to practice and learn by discovery.
Packet Tracer 5.3 is the latest version of this Cisco network simulator, and it’s a key tool to use if you are a student pursuing the CCNA or dedicated to networking.
This program creates a physical topology of network devices by simply drag-and-drop devices on the worksheet screen.
After clicking on them you can access the configuration console of this device. All Cisco IOS commands are supported and even does the “tab completion” on a command.
Once the physical and logical configuration of the network is build, you can do simulations of connectivity (ping, traceroute, etc) all from the device’s own console.
The improvements to the new Packet Tracer 5.3 are:
* Support for Windows (2000, XP, Vista) and Linux (Ubuntu and Fedora).
* Allows multi-user and collaborative settings in real time.
* Support for IPv6, multi-area OSPF, route redistribution, RSTP, SSH, and multilayer switches.
Supports the following protocols:
* HTTP, Telnet, SSH, TFTP, DHCP and DNS.
* TCP / UDP, IPv4, IPv6, and ICMPv6 ICMPv4.
* RIP, EIGRP, OSPF multi-area, static routing and route redistribution.
* Ethernet 802.3 and 802.11, HDLC, Frame Relay and PPP.
* ARP, CDP, STP, RSTP, 802.1q, VTP, DTP and PAgP.
- What is Cisco Meraki ? Some FAQ About Cisco Meraki You Need to Know
- What is Cisco Identity Services Engine (ISE)? Use Cases, How it is Used etc
- Readers Favorite Posts – Articles Liked by our Visitors
- Cisco IOS Command Line Interface (CLI) Keyboard Shortcuts
- Where to Buy Refurbished & Used Cisco Equipment (Switches, Routers etc)