The latest Cisco IOS version was 12.4 until recently when Cisco IOS version 15.0 was introduced. Have you noticed the jump from version 12 to 15? Do you wonder why versions 13 and 14 were skipped? Well, rumors say that Cisco avoided those version numbers because 13 is considered unlucky in the Western Culture and 14 is also considered unlucky in the Asian culture !!
As with any version upgrade, there are many new features on this release, most of them you will never use them in your life!! This is a characteristic of IOS anyway. It includes all features under the sun related with networking. It offers much flexibility, but also a lot of unnecessary stuff that you will never user them.
Before upgrading to version 15, I strongly recommend to use the Cisco Feature Navigator tool from cisco.com site in order to verify memory requirements (most important) and also to identify which features are supported.
- Comparison of LLDP vs CDP on Cisco Networking Devices
- Comparison of BGP Confederations vs Route Reflectors
- What are BGP Confederations-Explanation and Discussion (With Cisco Example)
- What is BGP Route Reflector – Explanation and Discussion (with Cisco Example)
- Guide to Cisco Bandwidth Command Parameter (With Configuration Example)