On June 7, 2016, Cisco released the “Cisco Visual Networking Index™ (VNI) Complete Forecast for 2015 to 2020” where several notable internet traffic statistics are predicted by the networking giant.
I have summarized the forecast document and presenting you below the most important stats and predictions about Internet traffic, Internet usage etc:
- Global IP traffic will be 194.4 exabytes per month by 2020, up from 72.5 exabytes per month in 2015.
- Internet Traffic from Mobile devices will exceed computer traffic by 2020. Specifically, 71% of total Internet traffic will be from non-computer devices such as smartphones, tablets, connected TVs etc.
- Traffic from Smartphones will be 30% of total Internet traffic, whereas traffic from PCs will fall to 29% of total.
- Video will dominate Internet traffic. Internet Video will account for 79% of total Internet traffic by 2020.
- Internet users will increase by more than 1 billion between 2015-2020 (from 3 Billion to 4.1 Billion users by 2020).
- Devices and connections will increase from 16.3 Billion in 2015 to 26.3 Billion in 2020.
- Internet of Things (IoT) will have a huge impact on internet traffic growth. The “connected health” segment will have the largest growth and the “connected home” segment will have the largest volume of connected IoT devices.
- Security is and will be of great importance to Internet services. Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks will increase from 6.6 to 17 million attacks.
- 48.2% of all fixed and mobile devices will support IPv6 by 2020.
- 34% of all Internet traffic will be IPv6 by 2020.
- Broadband Internet speeds will double from average 24.7 Mbps to 47.7 Mbps in 2020.
- Public WiFi hotspots will grow from 64 million to 432 million in 2020.
Have a look also at the following infographic for more details (click to enlarge):
- What is Cisco Identity Services Engine (ISE)? Use Cases, How it is Used etc
- Readers Favorite Posts – Articles Liked by our Visitors
- Cisco IOS Command Line Interface (CLI) Keyboard Shortcuts
- Where to Buy Refurbished & Used Cisco Equipment (Switches, Routers etc)
- How to Configure IPv6 Address on Cisco Routers with Example