With the expansion of Cisco ASA models and the addition of new types of devices, it is inevitable to have also a confusion about which software version is supported for each model.
A few years ago we had only the Cisco PIX series which were replaced by the successful Cisco ASA 5500 series firewalls.
Now we have also the next generation 5500-X series and also we have ASA running on 6500 as service module and also the ASA 1000V cloud firewall. Each type has its own software version as shown below:
ASA Software Version
|Cisco ASA 5500 Series (5505, 5510, 5520, 5540, 5550, 5580)||ASA Version 8.4(x)|
|Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series ASA Services Module||ASA Version 8.5(x)|
|Cisco ASA 5500-X Series (ASA 5512-X, ASA 5515-X, ASA 5525-X, ASA 5545-X, and ASA 5555-X)||ASA Version 8.6(x)|
|ASA 1000V cloud and virtual firewall||ASA Version 8.7(x)|
|All product series ASA 5500, ASA 5500-X and 6500 Service Module||ASA Version 9.0(x)|
- What is Cisco ASA Firewall – All you need to Know
- Traffic Rate and Bandwidth Limiting on Cisco ASA Firewall
- Cisco ASA Firewall (5500 and 5500-X) Security Levels Explained
- Cisco ASA 5505-5510-5520-5540-5550-5580 Performance Throughput and Specs
- Password Recovery for the Cisco ASA 5500 Firewall (5505,5510,5520 etc)